My first couple of years I spent more money than I wanted on little trinkets and toys to fill my prize box with. It worked really well as a motivator, but after gaining a husband and a toddler I've had to cut down on the spending to practically $0. I knew I had to try something different this year to add to my bag of tricks.
Like most ideas teachers have, this little diddo did not come out of thin air. I took this idea from Miss Kindergarten adjusted it to fit my classroom's needs. This is a great way to motivate students as a whole group. I don't know just how I'm going to use it yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.
This is the basic idea:
- Choose a behavior that your students need help improving on.
- When the entire class does the targeted positive behavior choose a bingo card and mark it on the bingo chart.
- The first prize that gets entirely highlighted is the prize that students will earn.
You can get this Spanish version of the "premio chart" right here. Just print it out on cardstock. Print two of the actual bingo card so that you can cut one up to use as bingo chips. I've used a colorful polka dot border because that's part of my envisioned theme this year. I've never used a theme, so we'll see if I actually have time to decorate my classroom that way.
I chose prizes that I thought my class would like, but if they end up hating some and loving other things I will definitely be changing them along the way. I chose to use for now:
P = palomitas en la clase (popcorn in the classroom)
- This is the only option that I will have to purchase (or most likely ask some great parents to donate!!!) Students will be able to eat popcorn in the classroom during a time of my choosing.
R = recreo extra (extra recess)
- Self explanatory I think :). Although with the limited space in my school it might end up being free centers indoors.
E = escoger juego de Pipo (choose your game of Pipo)
- My students play a computer game called Pipo which helps them with letter and sound recognition and later decoding and blending syllables, but there are other parts of the game, such as English games, painting, or math that I don't allow them to use during my class period. If this prize wins they can play any Pipo game of their choosing during a center or specified time.
M = manana de compartir (sharing morning)
- Students can bring in something to share with the class.
I = invitar a los papas al almuerzo (invite parents to lunch)
- I thought twice, thrice, etc. about this one, but I know that parents will love it. My school no longer allows parents to just come in to the school and eat with their child for security reasons as well as management. If this prize wins then students will be allowed to invite their parents to eat with them in my classroom. Students whose parents cannot come can sit with another parent or just sit with me while we eat. I know this takes up one of my lunch periods, but it will only be a few times.
O = osos y peluches en el salon (bears and stuffed animals in the classroom)
- Students can bring their stuffed animals to the classroom to read with or to sit with them (as long as they are not disruptive - definitely set expectations first) for a specified amount of time on a certain day.
If you happen to use it please let me know! Any comments are appreciated :)











This is such a neat idea! Thank you! I'm also your newest follower! :)
ReplyDeleteJudy
Teaching Little Apples
Thanks Judy! I'm trying to come back from blogging vacation. Hope I can provide you with some other ideas this year.
Delete